Solidarity trip with children with disabilities
The centre treats more than 250 children with physical or mental disabilities. The volunteer work is usually in the mornings. All the pupils who study at the centre are children who have suffered serious problems both in their academic and social development in the regular schools of the city. They are cared for in small groups by their teachers. If the child requires therapeutic attention from a specialist, the centre provides it as part of the comprehensive care. They are supported in their learning by the Psychology, Speech Therapy and Psychopedagogy divisions.
The afternoon project offers a comprehensive therapy to promote the rehabilitation of children and adolescents at a neuromuscular, psychological, cognitive and social level, using the horse as a therapeutic tool. All the children are at risk of social exclusion and some are abandoned by their families. Two main techniques are used: Hippotherapy and therapeutic riding.
The centre currently care for 10 children but could attend to many more. They have a waiting list of more than 60 children who could be incorporated into the program with the help of volunteers.
This project works towards achieving the following Sustainable Development Goals
Project LocationCochabamba, Bolivia.
Volunteer hoursMonday to Friday mornings and afternoons
Volunteer activitiesVolunteers without specialized training in people with disabilities will support the people working in the centre, helping in the activities and workshops they carry out, helping in the therapies, etc. People with more specific training will be able to propose and carry out activities as well as give training and new tools to the staff working in the centres.
Minimal collaboration2 weeks
IncluidoTumaini accompanimentHot waterAccommodationDinnerLocal CoordinatorTraining courseBreakfastAirport pick-upVolunteer liability insuranceWIFI
No incluidoTourist activitiesLunchKitchenTravel insuranceFlight
- To support the people working in the two centres.
- Assist in the activities and workshops they carry out
- Assisting in therapies
- People with more specific training will be able to propose and implement activities as well as provide training and new tools for people working in the centres.
- Be of legal age or, in the case of minors, be accompanied by an adult. The minimum age to participate is 17 years old.
- Be open-minded, tolerant, supportive and willing to learn. Flexibility is essential, as tasks may change depending on the needs of the NGO, similarly the ability to work in a team since volunteering is done in coordination with other people.
- People with training in special education, speech therapy, pedagogy, physiotherapy, etc.
- People who want to learn more about people with disabilities.
A day in the project
- 2 weeks: €480
- 3 weeks: €575
- 4 weeks: €667
- 6 weeks: 860 €.
- 8 weeks: €1,044
- Search for the solidarity trip that best fits your profile and interests to provide an enriching beneficial experience for both travellers and NGOs.
- A guide of the project with useful up-to-date information on the status and needs of the project.
- Support during the preparation of your trip: visas, vaccinations, tips for buying your flight, advice on what to visit, essentials to carry in your backpack, practical information (money exchange, transport, timetables, culture, etc.).
- Tumaini coordinator available by email or phone whenever you need to solve all your doubts. Sometimes, if possible, face-to-face meetings are also held.
- Online course on solidarity travel and responsible tourism, mandatory for volunteers to get the most out of their experience.
- Contact, if possible and on request, with volunteers who have already been in the project.
- Contact, if possible and on request, with people who are going to travel on similar dates to chat before the solidarity trip, resolve doubts or organize it together.
- Accident and liability insurance specialized in volunteering.
- Follow-up during the solidarity trip.
- Letter of reference or certificate of solidarity travel/volunteering on request.
- Accommodation in a single dormitory.
- Transport from Cochabamba airport to the house where you will sleep.
- Breakfast and dinner
- Local coordinators.
- International ticket
- Travel insurance (compulsory)
- Visa (free of charge for Spanish nationals for stays of less than 90 days)
- Extras such as personal excursions, shopping, etc.
- A contribution to Tumaini for the efforts and assistance of the volunteers.
- A contribution to the project for board and lodging.