Educational solidarity trip in the centre of Cusco
Help with homework, artistic workshops, dynamics to reflect on social issues... These are some of the activities offered to boys and girls every afternoon.
Did you know that Peru are in the last positions in the world in terms of educational quality? According to the PISA study, which measures knowledge in science, mathematics and reading, Peru ranks 64 out of 70 countries. In addition, the methodology is based on discipline and memorization of the contents, so that curiosity, a critical spirit, creativity or education in values are not encouraged in the classroom.
This little school was born in 2004 to offer boys and girls from Cusco an alternative education based on respect for nature, freedom, self-knowledge and emotional intelligence. Some 60 boys and girls between the ages of 5 and 15 come every afternoon, after going to the official school in the morning, to participate in activities and workshops together with volunteers from all over the world.
Most of the children have few resources and have to work a few hours to help the family. Some of them suffer from problems of alcoholism or gender violence at home. The project enhances their self-esteem, and their ability to reflect and express emotions.
This project works towards achieving the following Sustainable Development Goals
Volunteer hours4 or 7 hours a day. From 8:30-11:30 and 14:50-19:00.
Volunteer activitiesHelp with homework, artistic workshops (painting, music, dance, etc.), computer classes and "Circles" (group reflections and work with emotions).
Minimal collaboration2 weeks
IncluidoTumaini accompanimentHot waterAccommodationLocal CoordinatorTraining courseBreakfastAirport pick-upVolunteer liability insuranceWIFI
No incluidoTourist activitiesLunchDinnerKitchenTravel insuranceFlight
According to the Tumaini travelers, the best thing about this solidarity trip is "working with the boys and girls who, despite living in difficult conditions, are good and very loving children." In addition, it is a project with a young and international atmosphere: you will live with people from various countries and make incredible friends.
- Participate in meetings to design and prepare the activities of the school.
- School reinforcement, help with homework and computer classes.
- Artistic workshops: painting, music, dance, etc. If you know a discipline well, you can propose your own workshop!
- Games and sports activities.
- Participate in "Circles of Love": a dynamic to share ideas, reflect and meditate.
- Prepare an art piece. Every week, the project proposes a theme (eg respect, nature, equality, etc.) and the volunteers and children are divided into groups. Each group reflects on the theme and prepares a small artistic piece (reading, drama, dance, etc.) with the ideas, feelings and conclusions that have been reached.
- Presenting the artistic piece: every Friday, the project is transformed into a large theater where each group shares the work they have done.
- Be of legal age or, in the case of minors, be accompanied by an adult. The minimum age to participate is 5 years old.
- Be open-minded, tolerant, supportive and willing to learn. Flexibility is essential, as tasks may change depending on the needs of the NGO, similarly the ability to work in a team since volunteering is done in coordination with other people.
- Young people or solo travelers who want to meet other people during their volunteering.
- Groups and couples.
- Teachers, professors, social educators or any professional or student in the education sector.
- People looking for volunteering in a city with a lively cultural and leisure offer.
A day in the project
María Montijano, volunteer in 2018.
Cusco is one of the most beautiful cities in Latin America. Its colonial architecture and cobbled streets transport you to the splendor of the ancient Inca empire, since it was its capital. Neighborhoods like San Blas, where most of the artisans are, the Plaza de Armas with its cathedral or the architectural complex of Sacsayhuaman are must-sees. In addition, the city is very safe, well connected and offers a lively cultural and leisure life.
The weather in Cusco is relatively cool although very changeable, it can go from radiant sunshine to torrential rain, in just minutes. Average temperatures range between 13 and 15ºC, although at night they can drop to 0ºC in the dry season.
- From April to October: It is the cool and dry season, with sunny days and temperatures of up to 20º, but with very cold nights. In June and July temperatures can drop below zero.
- November to March: the rainy season, when temperatures are higher (up to 25º during the day, dropping to 8º at night) and with rains mostly in the afternoon.
|2 weeks||3 weeks||4 weeks||8 weeks||12 weeks|
|Room 18-10 people||425 €||490 €||550 €||765 €||1.000 €|
|Triple room||460 €||545 €||625 €||950 €||1.275 €|
|Double room||480 €||570 €||660 €||1.000 €||1.350 €|
|Single room||610 €||760 €||920 €||1.545 €||2.170 €|
- Search for the solidarity trip that best fits your profile and interests to provide an enriching beneficial experience for both travellers and NGOs.
- A guide of the project with useful up-to-date information on the status and needs of the project.
- Support during the preparation of your trip: visas, vaccinations, tips for buying your flight, advice on what to visit, essentials to carry in your backpack, practical information (money exchange, transport, timetables, culture, etc.).
- Tumaini coordinator available by email or phone whenever you need to solve all your doubts. Sometimes, if possible, face-to-face meetings are also held.
- Online course on solidarity travel and responsible tourism, mandatory for volunteers to get the most out of their experience.
- Contact, if possible and on request, with volunteers who have already been in the project.
- Contact, if possible and on request, with people who are going to travel on similar dates to chat before the solidarity trip, resolve doubts or organize it together.
- Accident and liability insurance specialized in volunteering.
- Follow-up during the solidarity trip.
- Letter of reference or certificate of solidarity travel/volunteering on request.
- Accommodation in the chosen option.
- Buffet breakfast with fruit, oatmeal, butter, milk (soy and cow), bread, granola, jam, tea, coffee.
- Access to the kitchen
- Local Coordinator.
- Internal transportation from Cusco airport to the project.
- International ticket
- Travel insurance (compulsory)
- Visa (free of charge for Spanish nationals for stays of less than 30 days).
- Extras such as personal excursions, shopping, etc.
- A contribution to Tumaini for the efforts and assistance of the volunteers.
- A contribution to the project for board and lodging.